WASHINGTON – The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol by a mob of supporters of former President Donald Trump announced on Monday five new targets for subpoenas. 

This new group focused on the organizers of the Stop the Steal rallies and the movement that preceded the attack on Jan 6, inclusive the prior months. 

Roger Stone is a political operative, who was convicted in obstruction of an investigation into Russian interference during the 2016 election. Trump pardoned him. 

Bannon was charged. Meadows wasn’t there, but more subpoenas were issued: These are the latest developments in the Jan. 6-investigation.

According to the committee, Stone is being subpoenaed regarding his activities in connection to and surrounding the 6th of July events.

Stone said that he spoke at rallies in January 2005, but was not scheduled to speak at the Ellipse event on January 6. This rally directly preceded the attacks on Capitol.” Committee members stated in a statement. He “used OathKeepers personal security officers, of which at least one has been indicted, while he was in D.C.” Mr. Stone has made remarks that he was planning to ‘lead a march to the Capitol’ from the Ellipse rally.”

He “promoted him attendance at rallies, and solicited support for payment of security via the website stopthesteal.org,” said the committee.

Stone was chatting live to a radio program in September when he received a suit regarding the Capitol riot. A group of Capitol officers brought the lawsuit in August against Trump and his campaign.

More:Roger Stone was interviewed live on radio about Jan. 6 Capitol Riot lawsuit

Stone was convicted of lying to Congress and obstructing special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election. Stone was one of a dozen Trump associates indicted during the Russia investigation. Trump commuted Stone’s sentence days before he was set to report to prison and later pardoned him.

Another individual the committee is subpoenaing is Infowars host and far-right media commentator Alex Jones.

More:Infowars’ Alex Jones was found guilty in Sandy Hook “hoax” lawsuits. He will now have to compensate the victims.

The committee stated Jones “reportedly helped organize the rally at the Ellipse on January 6th that immediately preceded the attack on the Capitol, including by facilitating a donation to provide what he described as ‘eighty percent’ of the funding.”

They noted Jones’ speech at the rally the day beforehand, where Jones told the crowd, “We have only begun to resist the globalists. They have not yet defeated our tyranny. They have tried to steal this election in front of everyone.”

“I don’t know how this is all going to end, but if they want to fight, they better believe they’ve got one,” Jones said that night, according to the video.

According to the committee, Jones stated that the White House told him that Jones was going to lead the march towards the Capitol. 

They also noted that he has “repeatedly promoted unsupported allegations of election fraud, including encouraging individuals to attend the Ellipse rally on January 6th and implying he had knowledge about the plans of the former President with respect to the rally.”

Alex Jones, the founder of right-wing media group Infowars, addresses a crowd of pro-Trump protesters after they storm the grounds of the Capitol Building on January 6, 2021 in Washington, DC.

Jones, known for promoting conspiracy theories, must pay damages to the families of victims of the Sandy Hook school massacre for his unsupported claims that the shooting was a “giant hoax” after a court last week found him liable for defamation.  

Other individuals who were subpoenaed Monday are: 

  • Taylor Budowich As a senior advisor for Trump 2020, he was He “reportedly solicited a 501c(4) organization to conduct a social media and radio advertising campaign encouraging attendance at the January 6th Ellipse rally and advancing unsupported claims about the result of the election,” per the committee. Trump is his current spokesperson.
  • Dustin Stockton was a rally promoter who reportedly assisted in organizing rallies after the 2020 election, including the Jan. 6 rally. The committee noted “Stockton reportedly was concerned that the rally at the Ellipse would lead to a march to the Capitol that would mean ‘possible danger’ which he said ‘felt unsafe,’ and these concerns were escalated to White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows.”
  • Jennifer Lawrence was also reportedly involved in organizing rallies following the November 2020 Election, including on Jan. 6 ahead of the attack on the Capitol.

“The Select Committee is seeking information about the rallies and subsequent march to the Capitol that escalated into a violent mob attacking the Capitol and threatening our democracy,” Committee Chair Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said in a statement. “We need to know who organized, planned, paid for, and received funds related to those events, as well as what communications organizers had with officials in the White House and Congress.”

Both Lawrence and Stockton were formerly reporters at Breitbart — the far-right media company formerly led by Steve Bannon, a former Trump adviser who was recently held in contempt of Congress for refusing to participate with the Jan. 6 select committee. 

More:Bannon’s contempt will be voted on Jan. 6, by the Jan. 6-appointed committee. We know this:

The Committee has already subpoenaed more than 40 organizations and individuals in connection to the January 6 attack.

Contributing: Bart Jansen, Donavan Slack,  

Source: USAToday.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here