Prosecutors have charged three Florida teenagers with murdering a classmate, and then hiding the body in trees. 

The alleged killers, a 17-year-old girl, a 16-year-old girl and a 17-year-old boy are charged in connection with the Oct. 17 murder, according to Broward County prosecutors, who said they intend to file adult charges against the trio, the Miami Herald reported. It was unclear Thursday night whether the adult charges were filed yet. 

“If this case were to be handled as a juvenile matter, the maximum term of residential treatment would be 36 months prior to release,” the Broward State Attorney’s Office said in a statement to CBS Miami. The juvenile charge means that the defendant would be released from the system after three years and can only be maintained under surveillance in the community up to the age of 21.

USA TODAY does not identify juveniles until formal charges against them are filed.

According to an arrest affidavit dated Oct. 22, the 16-year-old girl confessed to planning an attack on their classmate with the 17-year-old girl and boy because the victim had sex with an ex-partner of the 17-year-old boy. The 16-year-old girl told investigators the 17-year-old girl “lured” the victim out of his apartment and into the stairwell, where they ambushed him and held him down as the 17-year-old boy beat the victim, then stabbed him using a knife and a sword.

As seen in security footage, the girl and boy aged 17 allegedly carried the “lifeless”, victim’s body onto a railing. They then left it behind in some bushes 30 minutes later.

Dwight Grant was named by Miramar High school Principal Maria Formoso as the victim. Twitter

The three teens face charges of first-degree murder, criminal conspiracy and tampering with evidence, according to the arrest affidavit from the Miramar Police Department.

Learn more:School safety officer from California who fatally shot her 18-year old mother was exonerated and charged with the crime

Grant’s mother called the police Oct. 19. She stated that her son was missing, and she had reviewed surveillance camera footage of Grant being attacked by two others while one person was watching. Officers located evidence of blood near Grant’s location in security video footage. Grant was found dead under bushes.

Grant’s mother claimed that she reported him missing twice before, but she was informed by police that Grant was now an adult and she would have to wait.

As evidenced by texts between the girl and boy aged 17, investigators have concluded that the murder was pre-meditated. “Murder will definitely happen soon,” the 17-year-old boy said in a text to the 17-year-old girl, who agreed to help in a message.

The 16-year-old girl also claimed the 17-year-old girl brought cleaning supplies with her and cleaned up blood off the floor, and the teens later burned some of the clothes they had been wearing during the murder, according to the affidavit. 

The 17-year-old girl appeared in the footage to keep watch as the other two teens carried out the attack, the affidavit states. Investigators say that Grant, a 17-year-old girl, was also planning to have sex as a pretext for finding his location and lure him out.

This week saw members of the community hold a vigil in support Grant. Many students were seen in photographs wearing T-shirts that featured Grant’s photograph. 

“May our everlasting Patriot Rest in Peace.  Please pray for Dwight Grant’s family, friends and our community,” Formoso, Grant’s high school principal, said in a tweet.


Share Your Comment Below


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here