St. Louis police have settled the lawsuit that they brought against the NFL for Rams’ relocation from St. Louis to Los Angeles in 2017. It cost $790 Million.

The financial settlement, announced by St. Louis mayor Tishaura O. Jones and county executive Sam Page on Wednesday, ensures the league and Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke will avoid the potential spectacle of a jury trial, which had been scheduled to begin Jan. 10 – weeks before Los Angeles is set to host Super Bowl 56.

Jones and Page stated in a joint statement that “this historic agreement closes an important chapter for the region. It secures hundreds of millions for our community while avoiding uncertainties of the trial and appellate processes.”

According to the New York Times, Kroenke (74) is likely to fund the settlement. Forbes puts Kroenke’s net worth at $10.7 million.

Brian McCarthy, a spokesperson for the NFL said that all parties appreciated reaching a settlement. He also thanked Judge Jack Garvey’s mediation services.

This Wednesday’s settlement comes four years after St. Louis and St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority brought suit against NFL and its 32 team. Their claims were that both the Rams (and the league) violated relocation protocols as well as breached their agreement with St. Louis when Kroenke transferred the team from Chicago to Los Angeles.

In the years since, the league has suffered a string of losses in the case – including unsuccessful attempts to get the lawsuit dismissed or moved outside of St. Louis.

It has also seen some unflattering material come to light in the discovery process – including a goodbye letter from the Rams to the city that was circulated internally as the “AMF letter” – as in “adios, mother (expletive).”

In connection to the lawsuit, multiple NFL officials including Roger Goodell and owners of team were also deposed. Additionally, a judge required many owners to provide financial information prior the scheduled trial.

Washington University in St. Louis sports business professor Patrick Rishe described the settlement in a statement as “a landmark decision in the business of sports.”

The lawsuit started four years ago and I’m sure most in the industry thought that it was a joke. Rishe said that they probably thought it was sour grapes.

“So in that light, a settlement of $790 million is not only extraordinarily substantial, it’s truly unprecedented.”

Wednesday morning, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported on the details of the settlement.

Tom Schad can be reached at [email protected], or via Twitter @Tom_Schad.



Source: USAToday.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here